Sr Telecommunications Engineer
Company: Puget Sound Energy
Posted on: January 8, 2021
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with
like-minded, top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly
growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to
an exciting and innovative future is now.PSE's IT Infrastructure
team is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open Sr
Telecommunications Engineer position!Job Description
- Provides the planning, design, acquisition and implementation
of the company's telecommunication and transport network
- Evaluates business requirements to develop and implement
- Conducts project planning, cost analysis and vendor
comparisons. Performs analysis to determine best configuration of
- Responsible for telecommunications and transport networking
hardware and software to ensure availability, performance and
supportability.infrastructure related to telecommunications
including related hardware and software to ensure availability,
recoverability, performance, integrity and supportability through
production support of existing network, and development and
implementation of enhancements.
- Provides advanced customer support for new and existing
- Plans and executes telecommunication designs, configurations,
or enhancements to new and existing existing telecommunication
- Researches, recommends and designs new technologies, new
configurations and enhancements to existing telecommunication
networks., providing consulting advice to customers on the
capabilities of the network environment.
- Upholds the safety compliance standards inherent in PSE's
operating and/or field procedures related to work responsibilities.
Promotes and supports a culture of total safety.Job
- Engineers and designs complex telecommunications infrastructure
and transport networking infrastructure, services and interfaces to
- Specifies, designs and implements large or complex network
- Proficiently applies IT methods, professional knowledge and PSE
standards and practices to complex tasks and situations.
- Selects appropriate design standards, methods and tools,
consistent with agreed enterprise and solution architectures and
ensures they are applied effectively.
- Adheres to industry and corporate security and compliance best
- Works with project manager management to develop realistic work
estimates, financial budgets and project schedules.
- Participates in mid- to long-term telecommunication systems
- Takes responsibility for understanding for understanding client
requirements, collecting data, delivering analysis and problem
- Leads implementation and deployment efforts on intermediate
- Provides cost/benefit analysis on intermediate projects.
- Provides advice on technical aspects of system development and
integration (including requests for changes, deviations from
specifications, etc.) and ensures that relevant technical
strategies, policies, standards and practices are applied
- Conducts studies and performs network analysises and recommends
- May function in a lead capacity within department and represent
department in workflow and escalation discussions with
others.across teams in workflow and escalation discussions.
- Reviews project deliverables for accuracy and updates records
as required and provides assistance and mentoring to others.
- Reviews others' systems designs to ensure selection of
appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, and integration
of multiple systems and technology.
- Create templates and tools to be used for transport networking
planning and design configurations.
- Ensures internal and external security as well as adherence to
- Participates in evaluation of vendor proposals.
- Deploy networking services to remote sites utilizing leased and
private telecommunications infrastructure.
- Updates or creates documentation based on work performed.
- Assist in the transition from legacy (TDM) transport to packet
- Responds to unfamiliar, undefined, unexpected, or unstable
situations with the professionally prescribed standard
- Effective in relationships with business partners, professional
peers, and other team members.
- Monitors the market to gain knowledge and understanding of
currently emerging technologies.
- Works with IT professionals and managers, primarily within own
- Coaches less experienced IT/telecom professionals.
- Operates under general direction.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science
or equivalent work experience in related discipline or similar
degree and 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of
education and/or experience.
- 5 years of technical telecommunications experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in related planning, analysis,
configuration, installation, management, and coordination work
relevant to telecom or network design and build experience.
- Ability to manage projects, including schedules, resource
allocations and budgets.
- Experience leading and participating in internal and external
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to analyze complex systems, solve problems, and
- Knowledge and experience with IT infrastructure, MPLS, data,
voice, Telco, concepts, practices and procedures.
- Experience with copper and fiber optic cabling and related
- Extensive knowledge of subject matter within
telecommunications, with a basic knowledge of related
- MS Office skills.
- Willingness to learn and take on new and challenges.Desired
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Nokia or Cisco Networking certifications
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) General Radio/Telephone
Operators License, or equivalent certificate.
- Experience working with specific equipment such as but not
limited to Noka 7705 SAR, Nokia 1830 DWDM, Aviat Eclipse and
- Python or other scripting language
- Linux and Windows OS background
- Experience using Wireshark or other packet capture tools for
analysis and troubleshooting
- Experience working with SCADA and Teleprotection systems
- Professional Engineer (PE) Certification
- Experience in engineering, design, construction, operation and
maintenance of various telecommunication systems.
- Working knowledge of SAP and PSE budgeting and planning
- Basic understanding of PSE electric and gas infrastructure and
field practices of utility electric and gas infrastructure and
- Financial analysis capability to assess feasibility of projects
- Knowledge of electric distribution and transmission
- Knowledge and experience utilizing taskissue tracking systems
and processes (REMEDY, Visio, ISR's, Budget process, Change
Control, and PSE Cable Management Database).
- Strong statistical and analytical skills
- Working knowledge of the following:
- MPLS architecture and supporting protocols such as IGP and
label signaling (LDP and RSVP)
- MPLS service architecture to include VPWS, VPLS and VPRN
- Traffic engineering with constraint based routing in MPLS
- BGP routing protocol
- Working knowledge of precise network synchronization (TDM and
- Working knowledge of QOS principles and implementations
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with OSI Model
Layers 1, 2 and 3
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with IT
infrastructure, TDM, IP, MPLS, data, voice and leased telco
- Hands-on experience with telecommunications networking design
and equipment configuration to include but not limited to: routers,
switches, DACS, channel banks and microwave radiosAdditional
InformationFamilies and businesses depend on PSE to provide the
energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment
to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and
efficient energy started in 1873. Today we're building the
Northwest's energy future through efforts like our award winning
energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable
energy.At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them
opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that
includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive
bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement
pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.Puget
Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity
to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual
orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or
presence of a disability that with or without reasonable
accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential
functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local,
state or federal law.Should you have a disability that requires
assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application
process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at
email@example.com or 425-462-3017.
Keywords: Puget Sound Energy, Redmond , Sr Telecommunications Engineer, Engineering , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!