Company: Pocket Gems
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most
compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That's the
mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop
back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then,
we've grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155
million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we're
constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players
around the world. In recent years, we've launched Episode, a mobile
storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually
stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we're committed to
building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and
in our games.
As a Backend Engineer, you will be a part of our Data
Infrastructure team and help scale our infrastructure to facilitate
the processing and recording of billions of events per day. You
will be working on some of our biggest projects as you build APIs
that enable us to deliver offers and recommendations to millions of
players in real-time games!
Note: This role is open to remote employment for those who reside
in California or Washington State.
What We've Recently Accomplished
- We released the 3rd generation data pipeline for the company
which successfully reduced the latency from 24hrs to
- We migrated all our infrastructure configurations to the IAC
system using tools like Ansible, Terraform, Alembic, Vagrant, and
- We released a new unified logging system for our R&D teams
to start logging within minutes using any client library of their
- After doing extensive benchmarking on several data warehousing
solutions, we redid all our pipelines and migrated petabytes+ of
data from Amazon Redshift to Google BigQuery.
What You'll Help Us Accomplish
- Develop highly scalable and reliable backend microservices for
our games like leaderboards, IAM, etc
- Improve and build infrastructure tools, like A/B test system
and crash reporting systems that are mission-critical to the
- Implement flexible, reusable, and scalable solutions to improve
our data pipelines
- Build web tools to support our internal teams with data
analysis and visualization, which influences what we build for our
What You Bring To The Team
- Minimum of 4 years of professional engineering experience in
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant
- Experience working on distributed systems
- Knowledgeable on AWS, GCP, Hadoop, or backend related
- Strong skills in data structures, algorithms, software design
- Note: Prior mobile/gaming experience is NOT required
Extra Gems For
- Experience in working on dev-ops and/or infrastructure
- Experience in working on ETL (data pipeline) system
- A love for games!
Read more about what we've been up to!
- Pocket Gems Blog
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality,
inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer
competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k
matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with
talent based on our core values.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not
discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national
origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic
information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will
consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
Keywords: Pocket Gems, Redmond , Backend Engineer, Engineering , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!