Reality Labs Prototyping Shop Manager
Company: Oculus Inc
Posted on: September 17, 2022
Meta Reality Labs is looking for a Prototyping Shop Manager, to
lead and grow our world class teams of CNC machinists, model
makers, and prototyping technicians. They will work hand in hand
with our engineering and research teams to bring ground breaking
AR/VR technology to the world through rapid hardware iteration.
This role is instrumental in our ability to prototype and do small
scale production around novel technology that empowers our vision
of the Metaverse. We are looking for a proven leader with the
ability to leverage and develop industry best practices that allow
our teams to go from idea to prototype faster than ever before.
Reality Labs Prototyping Shop Manager Responsibilities:
- Lead the Reality Labs Research world-class Machine and Model
Making Shop, managing a team of machinists and model makers to
execute on research projects or tasks.
- Work closely with the supported teams (engineering, design,
research scientists etc.) to understand their needs and build out
the facilities, staff and experience to enable their success.
- Work closely with facilities and operations to plan lab and
shop spaces with a focus on safety, efficiency, and low friction
for the teams and people who use them.
- Create and drive forward safety, organization, efficiency, and
productivity with expectations of continuous improvement.
- Maintain and continue to develop World-Class prototype
machining excellence. This includes always striving to increase
flexibility, velocity, and capabilities as new technologies and
processes emerge in the industry.
- Maintain the budget and operational duties of running a world
class prototyping facility.
- Create maintenance and service plans for equipment and
- 5+ years experience leading a team of machinists in a
prototyping or job shop environment.
- 10+ years experience in machining or model making field,
including extensive experience programming for and operating
five-axis milling machines, including cutting tool selection, CAM
software selection, workholding strategy, machine specification,
and troubleshooting machine problems.
- Proven understanding and experience with industry best
practices such as: machine simulation and verification, creating
workflows for pallet loading and automation (in a prototype
environment), running "lights out", tool tracking and management in
large magazine capacity equipment, analysis and problem solving
around shop bottle necks and capacity limitations.
- Demonstrated operational excellence, experience in successfully
building and operating shop operational models focused on speed,
flexibility, and quality.
- Proven experience leading and managing an organization or a
team for high effectivity and health.
- Fundamental physics and materials knowledge as they relate to
- Knowledge of design factors that impact manufacturability and
an experience communicating with authority to their
- Formal education in a discipline relevant to the field:
engineering, science, product design, or manufacturing, or
equivalent work experience.
- Experience to easily interpret GD&T, and to choose a
measurement approach that suits the parts to be measured.
- Comfort with optimizing a machining process to match customer
requirements, whether it be dimensional accuracy, cosmetics, or
turnaround time, and with providing accurate estimates to
- Extensive, hands-on experience with commercial-grade 3D
- Formal work experience making cosmetic appearance models,
including surface finishing.
- Experience in tool and die work or pro---cient with
close-tolerance milling, turning, and wire EDM.
- Experience in working to optical-mechanical parts tolerances of
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at email@example.com.
Keywords: Oculus Inc, Redmond , Reality Labs Prototyping Shop Manager, Executive , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!