Physician Emergency Medicine
Company: Oregon Medical Association
Posted on: May 25, 2023
ST. CHARLES HEALTH SYSTEM JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Physician -
Emergency Medicine REPORTS TO POSITION: SCMG Chief Medical Officer
(or designee) DEPARTMENT: SCMG Emergency Medicine DATE LAST
REVIEWED: October 18, 2019 OUR VISION: Creating America's
healthiest community, together OUR MISSION: In the spirit of love
and compassion, better health, better care, better value OUR
VALUES: Accountability, Caring and Teamwork DEPARTMENTAL SUMMARY:
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Emergency Medicine Physician examines,
diagnoses, and treats acute and chronic medical conditions;
develops treatment plans and manages patient health issues in
accordance with established protocols; uses current evidence-based
guidelines in creating diagnostic and treatment plans; provides
compassionate care which addresses social determinants of health;
maintains accurate electronic health records of patients and
completes documentation in a timely manner. Work schedule: Shifts
vary from 9 hours to 12 hour shifts, depending on location.
Physician will work minimum of 144 shifts per year for a fulltime
contract. These shifts will be split between day, swing, and night
shifts. Call expectation: Call coverage is required. Typical call
coverage is not on site but physician is expected to be ready and
available to come in for a surge or coverage of a physician that is
ill. Call pay is covered in the contract. Work location: Physicians
will rotate between Madras, Prineville, and Redmond. ESSENTIAL
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Provide coverage on weekends, holidays and nights as required
by SCMG staffing.
- Must be able to work in a single coverage Emergency Department
- Must be able to work in three different locations and maintain
credentials at all facilities. Clinical Expectations:
- Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and other disorders
within Physician's chosen specialty.
- Manage acute, emergent medical conditions.
- Manage injuries and emergencies, including lacerations and some
- Participate patient education and promote patient
- Perform minor surgical procedures.
- Analyze reports and findings.
- Utilize and coordinate both on-site and referral based medical
services when appropriate.
- Order or execute various tests, analyses, and diagnostic images
to provide information on patient's condition.
- Order, prescribe, and/or recommend drugs and biologicals or
other forms of treatment such as physical therapy, inhalation
therapy, or related therapeutic procedures.
- In a timely manner, document patient care in its proper
- Promote coordinated care of good health and illness
- Cooperate with other SCHS physicians and caregivers to insure
optimal patient care.
- Be available to furnish patient care services at all times
during the assigned shift coverage of emergency department.
- May perform additional duties of similar complexity within the
organization, as required or assigned. Administrative Expectations:
- Document all patient care within the Electronic Medical Record
(EMR) and complete all necessary tasks in compliance with health
system policies and regulatory agencies to ensure timely and
- Be familiar with the SCHS organization structure.
- Participate in SCMG physicians meetings and assist in policy
formation for SCMG and Physician's practice.
- Keep medical knowledge and skills current through regular CME
activity. Must attest to having adequate (CME) to meet maintenance
of board certification and compliance with Medical Staff Office
rules and continuing privileges without restriction.
- Keep all licenses and appropriate certifications current and
- Maintain active privileges at a St. Charles Health System
hospital sufficient to permit performance of job duties. Behavioral
- Participates in creating a healing environment that supports
all aspects of the care environment and the wholeness of each
individual, patient and caregiver.
- Provides and maintains a safe environment for caregivers,
patients and guests. Conducts all activities with the highest
standards of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Delivers first-rate customer service and/or patient care in a
manner that promotes goodwill, and is timely, efficient and
accurate, and courteous.
- Educates, counsels, and assists patients and families regarding
current health problems, health maintenance activities and
- Provide a therapeutic presence in service to others by
purposefully responding to the needs of patients/customers in a
- This includes introducing oneself and stating your purpose,
asking the patient their preferred name, spending time with the
patient to determine their care goals, active listening, and using
skillful communications (appropriate touch, eye contact,
- Complies with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and
procedures, supporting the health system's corporate integrity
efforts by acting in an ethical and appropriate manner, reporting
known or suspected violations of applicable rules, and cooperating
fully with all health system's investigations and proceedings.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school.
- Successful completion of an accredited residency program in
Physician's chosen specialty (ies).
- Successful completion of additional educational programs
necessary to enable Physician to acquire and maintain privileges to
perform the range of services contemplated. This includes board
eligibility/certification in the specialty being practiced.
- Complete annual fire/safety, etc. education in-services as
- Attend mandatory educational offerings as described in SCHS
policies/procedures and/or as required by other regulatory
- Complete annual CME as required to maintain license and
appropriate Board certification.
- Complete in a timely manner assigned Computer Based Learning
- Current license as MD / DO.
- Board certified or eligible in Physician's chosen specialty.
Those applicants who are not board certified at the time of
application but who have completed their residency or fellowship
training are required to become board certified within seven years
of residency or fellowship training.
- Unrestricted Federal DEA number.
- Unrestricted ability to participate in Medicare / Medicaid, or
other federal or state governmental health care programs.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to meet SCHS driving
- ACLS certification is required.
- Additional certifications may be required based on privileges
granted to provider by Medical Staff Services at SCHS locations.
- Oregon license as MD / DO.
- Federal DEA number registered in Oregon. EXPERIENCE Required:
- Experience in hospital practice environments providing care in
- Experience using EMR (Electronic Medical Records)
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills to effectively
interact with a diverse population and professionally represent St.
Charles Health System.
- Experience working in a team environment and proven ability to
collaborate, manage facilitation and consensus building among
health care professionals and agencies to achieve expected results.
- Prefer two years active practice in Emergency Medicine.
- Epic EMR software experience PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
- Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment
(PPE) required to perform the job safely. GENERAL
- Must have excellent communication skills and ability to
interact with a diverse population and professionally represent
- Strong team working and collaborative skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills, written and oral communication
and customer service skills, particularly in dealing with stressful
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Electronic Medical
- Intermediate in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel).
- Active listener, patient, calm, reassuring, compassionate
- Outstanding diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Ability to successfully interface with parents while also
maintaining excellent records
- Familiarity with traditional and web-based prescription
- Proven ability to work as a medical professional in a team
environment with positive engagement and contributing to the morale
of the entire team in the hospital PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Continually (75% or more): Use of clear and audible speaking
voice and the ability to hear normal speech level.
- Frequently (50%): Sitting, standing, walking, lifting 1-10
pounds, keyboard operation.
- Occasionally (25%): Bending, climbing stairs, reaching
overhead, carrying/pushing or pulling 1-10 pounds,
- Rarely (10%): Stooping/kneeling/crouching, lifting, carrying,
pushing or pulling 11-15 pounds, operation of a motor vehicle.
- Never (0%): Climbing ladder/step-stool,
lifting/carrying/pushing or pulling 25-50 pounds, ability to hear
whispered speech level.
- Exposure to Elemental Factors
- Never (0%): Heat, cold, wet/slippery area, noise, dust,
vibration, chemical solution, uneven surface.
- Blood-Borne Pathogen (BBP) Exposure Category
- No Risk for Exposure to BBP Schedule Weekly Hours: 40 Caregiver
Type: Regular Shift: Is Exempt Position? Yes Job Family: PHYSICIAN
SCMG Scheduled Days of the Week: Shift Start & End Time:
Keywords: Oregon Medical Association, Redmond , Physician Emergency Medicine, Healthcare , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...