Single Point Diamond Turning Lab Manager
Company: Amazon.com, Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low
Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed
broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities
around the world.
You will join a multi-discipline team responsible for
development of high bandwidth systems for free space optical
communication between satellites.
The SPDT Lab Manager will build SPDT capabilities from the
ground up and work closely with machinists and engineers to
outline, develop and optimize new machining and manufacturing
processes for ultra-precision diamond turn optics. The successful
candidate will have extensive experience in standing up a SPDT
facility, managing machinists and test engineers, and machining
tight tolerance optical and aerospace components. The desired
candidate will have experience in a fast-paced machining
environment and will have the ability to respond quickly to
interruptions and requests to support test teams.
- Build out SPDT capabilities from the ground up.
- Hiring and developing a team of SPDT machinists.
- Ultra-precision diamond turning/grinding on a wide variety of
- Understands the operations of Ultra-precision CNC
machining/grinding equipment and software.
- Designs, builds, and assembles appropriate fixtures, programs,
and processes necessary to manufacture of optical quality
- Use CAD/CAM software to program multi-axis milling machines to
machine complex metallic structures and components
- Translate engineering drawings into reliable R&D and
production machining processes
- Provide feedback to engineering teams to improve DFMA
- Maintain rev control of programs, tooling and setups
- Select tooling and maintain tool library
- Material selection and sizing
- Ability to handle complete part manufacture including outside
- Experience with a variety of materials (aluminum, stainless
steels, titanium and nickel based alloys)
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations,
candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent
resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted
into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience standing up and managing a SPDT facility.
- Experience in developing manufacturing process.
- Experience with diamond turning or grinding optics.
- 7+ years of CAM programming experience.
- 7+ years of machine shop experience in programming and
operating CNC equipment (multi-axis mills, lathes, routers)
- 7+ years of experience in CNC programming.
- 5+ years of experience with GD&T
- Experience machining tight tolerance, high value
- Demonstrated analytical, written, and verbal communication
- Program verification software experience
- Familiarity with AS9100 Quality Management System
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- CAD experience Siemens NX, CATIA, Solidworks
- CMM programming/operation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other
legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who
would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Keywords: Amazon.com, Inc., Redmond , Single Point Diamond Turning Lab Manager, Other , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!