FUNCTION: Responsible for performing reception/front desk duties
in an efficient manner and in accordance with established
procedures, as directed by supervisor. The receptionist is expected
to represent the community in a positive manner while greeting
visitors, answering telephone and directing calls. Performs general
POSITION SPECIFICATION: The following specifications may differ
depending upon the number of available employees among whom the
performance of a particular job function can be distributed and the
size and type of community.
Employees will be required to perform any other job related
duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge,
skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully,
incumbent will possess the mental abilities or aptitudes to perform
each duty proficiently.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to
reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative
of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Freedom from illegal use of drugs.
Freedom from use and effects of use of drugs and alcohol in the
Persons who have been found guilty by a court of law of abusing,
neglecting, or mistreating individuals in a health care related
setting are ineligible for employment in the position.
Demonstrates effective time management skills.
Ability to apply professional standards of practice in job
Knowledge of and demonstrated skills in general office
Strong organizational skills as well as oral and written
Able to project a professional image.
Education and/or Experience:
Ability to answer the telephone, take detailed messages, respond
to verbal inquiries, take direction from different sources, handle
multiple tasks and be organized in a fast paced environment. Typing
of 30-40 wpm may be required if secretarial/administrative support
is needed for the community. Basic knowledge of office computer
Excellent interpersonal skill, written and verbal communication
skills are essential.
Must enjoy working with the elderly and able to accept
constructive criticism. Ability to interact with residents who are
highly susceptible to common illness without posing additional
health risks and must maintain a professional appearance.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: CPR and First Aid
certifications or successfully completed within 30 days of
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to read, write, and speak the
English language. Ability to effectively present information and
respond to questions from groups of executives, managers, clients,
customers, residents and the public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic mathematical skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram
form. Ability to solve problems and make independent decisions
related to the position when circumstances warrant such action.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Monitors all incoming public traffic and assists with job
2. Receives guests and other in a courteous, polite and warm
3. Respond to the needs of residents, families and visitors by
providing immediate assistance.
4. Appropriately and accurately prepares and distributes routine
5. May provide clerical and administrative support to the
6. Receive and follow reception schedule/instructions from
supervisor and as outlined in established policies and
7. Operate paging/telephone system as required.
8. Answer telephone, determine nature of call and relay
information or route call as appropriate.
9. Receive inquiries and release information in accordance with
established policies and procedures.
10. Assist with administrative duties as required.
11. Ensure supplies have been replenished in work areas as
12. Ensure that work areas (front desk and main entrance) are
neat and clean.
13. Maintain a current file/list of residents by name and room
number, emergency phone numbers of on-call personnel, department
extensions, key personnel, etc.
14. Maintains resident emergency data summaries, phone logs,
emergency procedures manual, resident sign-in/out logs, guest
sign-in books and other documentation specified by supervision.
15. Give clear and accurate directions and information to
visitors, guests, residents, sales representatives, etc.
16. Monitors electronic resident call box.
17. Effectively and courteously communicate with job applicants,
accept job applications and forward as directed.
18. Report suspicious persons or information to supervisor
19. Ensure guests, visitors, abide by existing rules and refuse
admission to persons as directed.
20. Maintain confidentiality of all resident information to
ensure resident rights are protected.
21. Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal
interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment
throughout the front desk area.
22. Follow all safety procedures and precautions when operating
23. Report all unsafe or hazardous conditions to supervisor
24. Report equipment malfunctions or breakdowns to supervisor as
soon as possible.
25. Use office supplies in an efficient manner to avoid waste.
Monitors office supplies and reports needs to supervisor.
26. Request repairs for office equipment as necessary.
27. Maintains company standards for attendance and
28. Maintains company standards for personal appearance.
Risk Management Responsibilities:
29. Is knowledgeable of and complies with company
30. Is knowledgeable of emergency call system and appropriate
31. Is knowledgeable of information contained in the Emergency
32. Maintains current CPR certification.
33. Answers the phone and directs calls in a courteous and
34. Greets visitors in a courteous and professional manner.
35. Arranges for food trays as necessary.
36. Provides wake-up calls on request.
EQUIPMENT USED: Telephone system. May be required to use other
office equipment including, but not limited to copier/scanner,
personal computer, fax machine and calculator.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Demonstrates active listening techniques,
gains support through effective relationships, treats others with
dignity and respect. Creates an atmosphere of warmth, personal
interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment
throughout the facility. Possesses a pleasant and professional
phone manner. Demonstrates effective communication skills when
dealing with residents, residents with dementia or other
impairments, residents family members, co-workers, supervisors and
CONTINUING EDUCATION: Attends in-service programs provided by
the Company. Applies knowledge and information from these programs
in future work.