The M365 Substrate Hardware Repair team is hiring a software
engineer working on cloud scale hardware fault diagnosis of the
M365 (Exchange) server fleet. Location can be Sunnyvale, CA or
Do you describe yourself as an explorer, builder, or teacher who
thinks differently and has a technical background as a software
developer, data scientist, or other technical discipline? We are
looking for engineers and data scientists who embrace these roles
and who want to work together to help work on the automated
hardware repair service in M365 Core Platform, also known as
Substrate is the data and intelligence platform that enables
internal partner teams at Microsoft to build, deploy, and maintain
compliant productivity apps and services with reduced effort and
faster time to market. The purpose of the Substrate Hardware Repair
team is to provide a high degree of hardware availability for our
service at the lowest possible cost, through smart automation &
With companies like Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon all
working hard to deliver capabilities in the cloud space, the need
for timely delivery of strategic projects is critical to our
success. The substrate hardware repair team helps to return
hardware back to the service faster, and this has the potential to
make large impacts to our credibility and brand in the
The team is committed to making investments in AI and ML
techniques to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the hardware
repairs that are provided by datacenter operations staff in
response to the ticketing generated by the automation solution. If
you are excited about the AI/ML space this is a great place to
We are looking for Substrate Hardware Repair team members who
are excited about making important technical contributions and who
can see themselves in or growing into one or more of the following
- You are an explorer who is excited about the opportunity to
learn new code, meet other teams, and enable new customer
- You have an approach for quickly gaining expertise and
confidence working in new code bases.
- You are a builder who loves to build clean and testable code,
strong working relationships, helpful documentation.
- You want to help create an effective team.
- You are learning how to architect adaptable and reliable
solutions within constraints.
- You want to create a reputation of excellence for your
- You are inclusive. It is important to you that everyone on the
team feel like they belong.
- You listen well and you speak openly.
- You have empathy and curiosity.
- You are a teacher who shares what they know with others.
- You want to help mentor and develop a team.
- You want to work closely with the rest of the founding team
members to develop curriculum to train those who join us later and
the approach for how we will work with our partner teams as we
deliver projects in partner team areas.
- You are open to growing by sometimes making mistakes and
breaking things you wish you had not. You are open to applying a
growth mindset to those experiences to make your engineering or
data science more reliable and resilient.
More About Microsoft 365 and Substrate
Microsoft 365 is the fastest growing cloud services business in
Microsoft. M365 brings together cloud versions of our most trusted
communications and collaboration products like Exchange,
SharePoint, OneDrive and Skype with the desktop suite of Office
products in an always up-to-date integrated service offering. Since
its launch, the service has made it easier for millions of
information workers across the world in small, medium, and large
enterprises to use the best of Microsoft's business productivity
solutions via the cloud. The service now extends the same
capability to consumer communication and collaboration
You can read more in the Substrate Dev Center located here:
A suitably qualified candidate would have the following
qualifications and experience:
- 3 years of software development experience and familiarity in
one or more OOP languages, such as: Java, C#, C++.
The following experience would be highly desirable in
differentiating a candidate from peer applicants. Any of these
would be beneficial, but are not required:
- A degree in computer science/computer engineering, another STEM
field, or any other discipline. Individuals with a degree in a
non-STEM field who have retrained as a software engineer and
demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning are strongly
encouraged to apply.
- Experience scripting with PowerShell, bash or Python
- Hardware experience (device drivers, UEFI, Kernel mode
- Demonstrated track record of continuously building stronger
coding, design, and problem-solving skills
- Server and/or service experience
- Cloud services experience (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Understanding of data analysis and machine learning
- Ability to quickly ramp up on new technologies
This role requires candidates be able to meet Microsoft,
customer, and/or government security screening requirements. These
requirements include, but are not limited to, the following
specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required
to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and
every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, marital status,
medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability,
political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion,
sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and
ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of
criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need
assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability
during the application or the recruiting process, please send a
request via the Accommodation request form.
The engineers and data scientists in this team will play a
critical role in driving the technical details of a variety of
middle tier and backend service projects spanning multiple areas.
They will have to understand the design, code and features of
different areas, come up to speed and implement features that
delight customers and partners via their intuitiveness, attention
to detail and responsiveness. They have good partnership skills and
are motivated to collaborate with others. This role is primarily
DevOps focused, initially, but the expectation is that the engineer
hired would grow to work on the Hardware Repair and Health service,
or the OSSKU service.
- Specify Azure DevOps pipelines for running tests and other code
deliverables on the services we maintain in a lab environment.
- Create, maintain, and debug these pipelines.
- Create test automation code for the lab environment.
- Abstract out the key components, create documentation
frameworks, sample pipelines, sample tests so that a self-service
infra can be created and maintained to allow other team members to
create and maintain pipelines for their work.
- Provide oversight and guidance for other team members to make
the best use of the lab environment.
- Create quality gates that may be leveraged during the PR (Pull
- Become familiar with the hardware repair service and the OSSKU
team's work so that the best possible DevOps environment can be
- Provide consulting on build systems.