Microsoft Excel is one of the best-known software products on
the planet--there are hundreds of millions of people across the
globe using Excel every day to store, transform, analyze,
visualize, share, and collaborate around their data. The world is
producing and storing more data than ever before and now we have a
new opportunity for a leader to join our engineering team and have
a positive impact on how people experience their data. With Excel
your work can directly impact someone's ability to understand their
businesses, optimize processes, unlock insights from any amount of
data and unlock entirely new scenarios for spreadsheet use.
The Excel team is looking for a Group Engineering Manager to
lead the engineering team responsible for bringing forward our
Collaboration experience through constant innovation, design and
implementing state of the art advanced communication protocols for
distributed computing. Collaboration is a critical part of the
modern usage experience for productivity applications and Excel has
been rapidly improving and iterating to meet growing customer
needs. This is a role with rich and varied customer scenarios to
satisfy as well as complex engineering challenges to meet in both
client software and backend services. Your team will be driven by a
combination of telemetry-based metrics and deep customer connection
and will partner closely with design and program management to
optimize for user success.
In Excel, collaboration is not just something we build, it's
also how we work. We highly value the ability to work together as a
team, share resources and knowledge, and focus on the most
important outcomes for the Excel business. We are looking for a
leader to partner with us to continue to shape our culture and work
with us to help all of our customers achieve more.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Is passionate about building great software to be used by
- Cares deeply about team culture and creating a friendly and
helpful engineering team within the larger Office organization.
Skilled in attracting and retaining great talent.
- Model and foster the Microsoft Values and is an active
participant in our diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Is excited about collaborating with other members of the Excel
- Brings a positive attitude and looks to drive constant
improvement in how we work.
- Cares about our customers and creating delightful and
accessible end-to-end experiences.
- Can drive strategic decisions to influence the future direction
of the product.
- 2+ years experience managing other people managers
- 5+ years of Engineering Management
- 10+ years of experience building software and managing highly
complex services and teams
- Exceptional management skills with experience collaborating
across teams and inspiring engineering talent
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, marital status,
medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability,
political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion,
sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and
ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of
criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need
assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability
during the application or the recruiting process, please send a
request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of
your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
As a Group Engineering Manager of the team, you will be
responsible for the following:
- Driving the strategy, vision, and execution for the team in
collaboration with the Excel Leadership team - compromised of
engineering, design and program management leaders.
- Partner with others - internally and externally - to deliver
consistent experiences and customer success across Excel endpoints
- Coach team leaders and engineers within the team
- Actively shape and drive a flexible, diverse, and inclusive
culture where everyone is enabled to be at their best
- Be an active member of the OXO Leadership Team, driving success
across platforms and multiple Office products and services.