Optical Scientist Intern, Optical Physics & Systems (PhD)
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Facebook Reality Labs brings together a world-class team of
researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of
virtual and augmented reality, which together will become as
universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are
today. And just as personal computers have done over the past 45
years, AR and VR will ultimately change everything about how we
work, play, and connect. We are developing all the technologies
needed to enable breakthrough AR glasses and VR headsets, including
optics and displays, computer vision, audio, graphics,
brain-computer interface, haptic interaction, eye/hand/face/body
tracking, perception science, and true telepresence. Some of those
will advance much faster than others, but they all need to happen
to enable AR and VR that are so compelling that they become an
integral part of our lives.Our internships are twelve (12) to
sixteen (16), or twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various
start dates throughout the year.
- Develop next generation AR/VR display prototypes with an
emphasis on both modeling and prototyping of the new concepts.
- Collaborate with the larger Facebook reality labs team and
provide creative leadership on display and imaging
- Explore the application of wave optics.
- The position will have an emphasis on the development of
advanced optical simulations, prototyping, and metrology to prove
new concepts and the perceptual impact of those concepts.
- The type of work should be publishable research results in
top-tier journals and at leading international conferences.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree
in optical sciences or engineering, physics, material science or a
- 2+ years experience with scientific programming languages such
as Matlab, Python, Mathematica, or similar.
- Optical physics modeling experience using COMSOL, Lumerical,
Meep (or any other FDTD, RCWA modeling tool).
- 2+ years experience with experimental optics and conducting
laboratory work (i.e., constructing proof-of-concept systems and
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at
the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during
- Intent to return to a degree-program after the completion of
- 2+ years experience with optical design programs such as Zemax
OpticStudio, Code V, LightTools, FRED, or similar.
- Demonstrated experience via an internship, work experience, or
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as
demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, or first-authored
publications at leading workshops or conferences such as OSA, SPIE,
IEEE, etc. Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build
community and bring the world closer together. Through our family
of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company
that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways
to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer
together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small
business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at
heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems,
and working together to empower people around the world to build
community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help
people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Oculus, Redmond , Optical Scientist Intern, Optical Physics & Systems (PhD), Other , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!