Optical Scientist intern, Dynamic Optical Systems (PhD)
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Facebook Reality Labs Research (FRLR) brings together a
world-class, cross-discipline R&D team with the shared goal of
developing the next generation of AR and VR technologies. The
primary goal of this internship is to conduct research on novel
optical approaches in conjunction with human vision and visual
optics, pushing the boundaries of what is possible with traditional
optical systems and introducing more dynamic control. In this role,
you will embed with a multidisciplinary team of engineers and
research scientists exploring innovative approaches and working to
design, prototype, and evaluate novel hardware solutions.Our
internships are twelve (12), sixteen (16) or twenty four (24) weeks
long, and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Explore technologies for shaping the wavefront of a
head-mounted displays optical system in novel ways.
- Analyze and compare potential designs with prior approaches in
- Optical design and simulations for mapping trade-space and
- Documentation and presentation of findings to your peers.
- Prototyping and hardware development for proof of concept
- In conjunction with with other researchers and engineers,
construct and evaluate at least one such novel design.
- Collaborating with other researchers, explore perceptual
artifacts and tradeoffs of various approaches and optical designs,
possibly with user studies.
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD in
optics, physics, visual optics, or a related field.
- Strong background in optics, including the design, simulation,
implementation, and measurement of optical systems.
- Experience with critical research skills including defining
problems, exploring solutions, and analyzing and presenting
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture
- Fundamental understanding of human visual perception and visual
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at
the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during
- Experience with existing varifocal/wavefront shaping
technologies (e.g. GRIN LC, liquid, PBP, piezo lenses, etc.).
- Experience with Optical design and simulations, Code V,
- Experience in Human visual perception and visual optics.
- Experience in Optomechanical engineering.
- Experience designing and executing perceptual experiments.
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the
internship/co-op. Facebook's mission is to give people the power to
build community and bring the world closer together. Through our
family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of
company that connects billions of people around the world, gives
them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring
people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or
helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are
builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating,
solving problems, and working together to empower people around the
world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together,
we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting
started. Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon
race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy,
childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation,
gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status,
sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as
an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally
protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants
with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state
and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting
process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a
disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Keywords: Oculus, Redmond , Optical Scientist intern, Dynamic Optical Systems (PhD), Other , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!