Hardware Systems Lead
Posted on: May 16, 2022
The Reality Labs Research Team is seeking a Hardware Systems
Lead to lead a newly formed team focused on novel collaborations
with academic researchers and scientists. We want people who work
well in teams, can brainstorm big ideas, work in new technology
areas, thrive in ambiguity, are able to map tradespaces, are able
to drive a concept into a prototype and lead research studies.The
Reality Labs Hardware System Lead will drive the definition and
convergence of complex and novel sub-system, and technology
architectures aimed at pushing beyond the state-of-the-art consumer
AR/VR/Wearable systems. These can span new sensing systems,
display/optics systems, input devices, and full VR headsets. The
role requires expert technical communication with cross-functional
teams across research, academia, hardware engineering,
partnerships, supply chain and core technology groups to drive
incubation of new technologies from proof of concept through
integration. This role requires excellent technical understanding
of consumer electronics and AR/VR/Wearable reality systems across
the stack. We are seeking someone with the breadth of knowledge to
fully understand complex technologies and envision novel
implementations. The ideal candidate would have strong systems
skills, previous roles driving architecture convergence on complex
consumer electronics products, material development, reliability
and ergonomic considerations of wearable technologies, while
working collaboratively with cross functional experts to understand
and make system tradeoffs.
Hardware Systems Lead Responsibilities:
* Define & deliver system architectures encompassing compute,
displays/optics, EE, sensors, calibration, and firmware from
initial conception through prototyping, product development, and
* Work with external/academic partners. Drafting RFPs,
specifications, program costing and planning, establishing project
* Conduct detailed analysis and trade-off studies for complex
* Engage with technology project leads, and various component SMEs
in creating the overall system architecture and platform as the
starting point for execution.
* Deliver engineering solutions to the hardest architectural
problems in early phase concept development.
* Communicate technology and strategy effectively to both internal
and external stakeholders.
* Guide management & partner teams on long term technology
* Create proof-of-concept physical prototypes.
* Collaborate with cross-functional teams on blank-slate and
early-phase prototyping and system exploration, mapping it to
strategic and system questions which need to be resolved.
* Create hardware system metrics, standards and tools.
* Drive development of system requirements to create new
augmented/virtual reality experiences, and help advance technology
and research roadmaps.
* Travel up to 15% time domestically and internationally.
* BS in Engineering, Physics, Optics, Computer Science or
equivalent work experience.
* 8+ years of experience in developing complex systems with
* Experience in optical, mechanical or sensor system design
maturation, including requirement development from physical based
modeling, and knowledge of fabrication/vendor processes.
* Experience integrating and delivering one or more of these
technologies: displays, optics, silicon, sensors, thermal
* Experience in rapid prototyping and creating proof of concept
models to share ideas and improve architectural decisions.
* Experience working with partnerships teams and external partners
at both a supply base and product level.
* Proven experience in cross-functional and Executive
communications and presentations.
* Masters or PhD in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Optical
Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related degree
* 10+ years of experience in research or advanced system
* Experience with multiple full life cycle product launches
* Experience with image related methods, algorithms, devices and
* Experience with design/manufacturing of small form-factor display
or imaging systems
* Experience developing manufacturing process(es) for optics and
* Background in firmware development, programming, computer vision,
OS, game development, and complex sensing systems
* Experience modeling system power, and using those models to
inform trade-offs against key architectural decisions (e.g. battery
life, thermals, silicon roadmaps, power load profiles)
* Experience with Virtual/Augmented reality or systems
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at email@example.com.
Keywords: Oculus, Redmond , Hardware Systems Lead, Other , Redmond, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!